Landesmuseum Kärnten – the Collections of Natural Sciences
Public museums collections had a hard start in Carinthia: only in 1848 did the first Museum of Natural Sciences open, maintained by the ‘Naturhistorischer Verein für Kärnten’. For a long time the collections were based on private donations. In 1884, the ‘Naturhistorischer Verein’ and the ‘Geschichtsverein für Kärnten’ moved into a new museum building, since 1898 there have been full-time curators. The museum’s scientific publication was and still is the periodical Carinthia. In 1942, the collections became property of the Government, but since 1998 they have been privatized.
|Keywords||Carinthia, Collections of Natural Scinces, Naturwissenschaftlicher Verein für Kärnten, Landesmuseum Kärnten|
|Journal||Scripta Geologica. Special Issue|
|Rights||Released under the CC-BY 4.0 ("Attribution") License|
Stumfohl, R. (2004). Landesmuseum Kärnten – the Collections of Natural Sciences. Scripta Geologica. Special Issue, 4, 261–266.